It´s leg day again… I know you love it as much as I do!
Lateral lunges fire up your posterior chain (or the backside of your body), as well as your inner thighs. Lateral lunges target your gluteus medius (the part of your butt that makes side-to-side movements possible) as well as your quads and hip adductors. But you’re also recruiting your hamstrings and calves too. So, adding them to your routine will help you strengthen and sculpt your lower body from all angles.
- Starting position: Start with your feet wider than your hips and your knees and toes pointing forward.
- Inhale as you take a wide step to one side, push your hips back, and bend that knee while leaving your other leg straight. You can bring your arms in front of you (optional) as a counterbalance, or place your hands on your hips (this way works better for me).
- Exhale and push with your leg to go back to the starting position.
- Switch legs and repeat.
Resistance band Calf raise
If you recall, we did this exercise the first week. Today, we´re going a step further, adding extra resistance. Make a loop with your band. Place one end over your shoulders, around your neck. The other end goes under your feet.
- Starting position: Bring your feet to be hip-distance apart. Stand straight with a tight core and flat back. Keep your hands at your sides or hold on to a wall for balance.
- Exhale and focusing the tension in your calf muscles, slowly raise yourself up onto the balls of your feet as high as possible.
- Pause at the top of the movement, inhale and slowly return to the starting position.
- Do not rest at the bottom, and immediately start the next rep.
Tips to get the most out of this workout
- Read the instructions on how to do the exercises. If you skipped it, scroll up. It´s important to keep the technique in mind to perform the exercises correctly.
- Watch the first two sets before you start and visualize yourself performing the exercises.
- Grab the equipment you need (mat, resistance bands), put them in position, and keep close your bottle of water.
- Mute your phone. Next 10 minutes you´ll be unavailable.
- We aim for a total of 10 sets (5 sets each exercise), with no rest in between. However, if you need to rest, press pause and take your time.
- Each set is 1 minute long. If it´s too much for you right now, do as many repetitions as possible.