Today we focus on your chest and back with these two exercises:
The dumbbell chest fly can help open up your chest muscles. Chest openers may help reduce upper back pain, increase range of motion, and reduce tightness in the upper body. It also “teaches” scapular retraction. Scapular retraction basically means the ability to pinch your shoulder blades together-an action that’s super important for combating poor posture from sitting hunched over a desk or cell phone all day.
Attach the band at chest height.
- Starting position: Stand upright and hold the resistance bands with arms out at shoulder height, and palms facing one another. Keep your chest up and shoulders down. Core tight.
- Exhale and squeeze your chest muscles, bringing your hands together in front of your chest.
- Inhale and pull your arms slowly away from one another as far back as you can go.
This exercise will tone and strengthen your lats (middle back), rhomboids (between shoulder blades), trapezius, and biceps. Having a strong upper body also improves posture, protects your shoulders, and reduces your risk of injury.
- Starting position: Sit on the floor, legs together in front of you. Bend your knees slightly. Place the band around the soles of your feet and hold the ends, palms facing each other. Brace your core.
- Exhale and pull the band until your hands are over your thighs, keeping your elbows tucked in, and your back straight. Keep your shoulders back and down.
- Inhale and slowly extend your arms, returning to the starting position.
Tips to get the most out of this workout
- Read the instructions on how to do the exercises. If you skipped it, scroll up. It´s important to keep the technique in mind to perform the exercises correctly.
- Watch the first two sets before you start and visualize yourself performing the exercises.
- Grab the equipment you need (mat, resistance bands), put them in position, and keep close your bottle of water.
- Mute your phone. Next 10 minutes you´ll be unavailable.
- We aim for a total of 10 sets (5 sets each exercise), with no rest in between. However, if you need to rest, press pause and take your time.
- Each set is 1 minute long. If it´s too much for you right now, do as many repetitions as possible.