Boost Your Well-being: The Essential Role of Vitamin B6 in Your Health
Vitamin B6 health benefits
- Promoting brain health: Pyridoxine is important for normal brain development and for keeping the nervous system healthy.
- Building a stronger immune system: Produces antibodies that fight against viral, bacterial, fungal, or other types of infections. It helps produce new red and white blood cells, which are essential to promote the immune system.
- Important for a healthy menstrual cycle: It is essential for maintaining a healthy menstrual cycle in women by regulating hormones.
- Pyridoxine for a beautiful skin: Vitamin B6 also promotes healthy skin as it helps in the production of collagen.
- Treats Asthma: Pyridoxine has been found to be beneficial in the treatment of asthma by reducing the severity of symptoms.
- Protects the Heart: Vitamin B6 may help to protect the heart by reducing inflammation and homocysteine levels.
- Improves Lipid Profile: Vitamin B6 is known to improve the lipid profile in the body, which is beneficial in preventing heart diseases.
- Fights Anemia: It helps in the absorption of iron, which is essential for the formation of red blood cells.
- Treats Kidney Stones: Pyridoxine has been found to be beneficial in the treatment of kidney stones.
Foods rich in vitamin B6
- Meats, such as chicken, turkey, and fish
- Legumes, such as beans and lentils
- Whole grains and fortified cereals
- Vegetables, such as spinach, carrots, and sweet potatoes
- Fruits, such as bananas and avocados
Recommended daily intake
- 18 years, male: 1.3 mg/day
- 18 years, female: 1.2 mg/day
- 19 to 50 years (both genders): 1.3 mg/day
- 51 to 70 years, male: 1.7 mg/day
- 51 to 70 years, female: 1.5 mg/day
- Pregnancy: 1.9 mg/day
- Lactation: 2 mg/day
Vitamin B6 deficiency
Vitamin B6 excess
- Pyridoxine is a cofactor in more than 150 enzymatic reactions in the body.
- Vitamin B6 helps the body make neurotransmitters like serotonin and norepinephrine, which can affect mood.
- Vitamin B6 is also important for the production of melatonin, a hormone that regulates sleep, this makes it particularly important for people who have trouble sleeping.
- It can be found in two forms: pyridoxine and pyridoxal, both are converted into the active form of pyridoxal phosphate in the body.